It is currently June 27th, 2017, 6:23 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to sebastopolgeeselovers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello from a Newbie in Iowa
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 1:28 am 

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the forum. I am new to geese and Sebbies but was fortunate to get two pairs of young Sebbies for my birthday last August. I am truly enjoying them and had no idea that I would love, love, love having geese so much! I find them intelligent, entertaining, and beautiful and am grateful to have them.

I do have a question - and I suspect the answer is on the forum somewhere, I just haven't found it as yet. One of my geese has started laying and, as I understand it, for yearling geese you are supposed to take away the first 6-8 eggs because they are more likely to hatch a gosling or goslings with later eggs (fertility increases during the laying season). Is this correct and is this what you all do/have done?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hello from a Newbie in Iowa
PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 4:28 am 

Hi there and welcome to the sebbie world!
As yearling yes, I have found that fertile increases over time, but it's not necessarily true. Some come right out of the gate with their first eggs fertile.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2017, 5:23 pm 

Hi and welcome! What I do is collect the eggs from each pen daily. I write on the egg what pen I collected it from and then I use the egg in a recipe of some sort. As I crack the egg open, I look to see if it is fertile. Once I visually confirm fertility in that pen, then I can start collecting them for incubation or you can let your goose sit on them. Good luck!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you! ->: wave

Since its helpful to the other members, please start a post and continue this convo in a forum related to the topic
or in the Beginners forum so everybody can benefit from the question and answers. -> :smile

My website: http://cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms.webs.com/

PostPosted: March 4th, 2017, 3:46 pm 

Hello and Welcome!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]