It is currently June 24th, 2017, 4:25 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to sebastopolgeeselovers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hello from Australia
PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 11:32 pm 

Hi everyone, thanks for the add!
I am picking up a pair of geese tomorrow so I am looking forward to reading everything on the forum and learning as much as I can. I am in a cold climate (by Aussie standards) but have had a well sheltered night enclosure made. I bought a 2yo pair of hand raised Sebs from a friend a couple of months back but unfortunately the gander was terribly aggressive towards us and also attacking the Maremmas. So now we are trying again with a pair who aren't hand raised in the hope this makes a difference. That pair are now back with their original owner and have gone back to being ***** cats. I am feeling very nervous but really want to make this work! The geese will be in our main yard/garden which is about 1.5 acres so we need to co exist.
Cheers,
Dru

Post subject: Re: Hello from Australia
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 4:05 am 
Site Admin

WELCOME Dru! -> : bird -> :smile
We have some other Aussies here but they haven't posted recently.
Best wishes with your Sebastopols and make sire to post pictures.

My website: http://cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms.webs.com/

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 6:18 pm 

A big welcome Dru. -> : flowers Make sure you join in on the chats here often. We enjoy talking with our over seas friends. As Vicky said share pictures with us. Enjoy the forum you will learn a lot on here from every ones knowledge..

Here is our web site
http://b.rudolph.tripod.com/rbrururanchandwaterfowl/

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 8:26 pm 

Hello Dru and welcome to the Forum, I'm from the UK and it's great to have more overseas friends here! -> :stars

Shame that you had a bad experience with your first geese, hope that you will have better luck with the next ones. Do post some pics on here if you can, it's great seeing everyone's birds. Look forward to hearing some more from you soon. As you already know, there is a wealth of knowledge about all things Seb on here, so read and learn. But we are all very friendly so ask away if you have any specific questions. -> :sumtime

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 10:47 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Today is the day but I've woosed out on the breeding pair and will just stick to pet quality females. The breeder I'm buying them from is very reassuring about his ganders but I haven't been able to sleep properly as I'm so worried about having a gander again. The geese wont be fenced off from my main garden area. They will need to live there and free range with kids, visitors, bantam ducks, bantam chooks, cats and dogs. I am too worried about a gander in breeding season and being held to ransom inside the house again. Also one of my Maremmas got fed up with the last gander attacking him and turned on him so I have concerns that even the slightest reaction from the gander will result in a dog-gander war.
It is a real shame as the breeding curly ganders were stunning but I think if Im nervous of him before he's even here then he will have it all over me pretty quickly! The breeder also only has just the one pet female available. I will take her as they are so hard to find here plus I'm buying from somewhere very reputable. I'm not keen on her being on her own too long though, although she will have ducky friends in the mean time.
The breeder also has dewlap Toulouse. The birds are beautiful, but don't take my eye like the Sebs do. Their temperament seems more docile than other breeds so I've been up all night reading about them thinking maybe he might have a pet quality female to come with the Seb. Everything says Toulouse don't do well with other breeds though as they are easily bullied and bewildered. I have found my ducks and chooks are very breedist and prefer their own breed kind.
Who would have thought it would be so hard!?
It is just more the longevity of these birds and having them co exist on my property with all the other animals and not having to supervise kids or worry about breeding season behaviour. A real shame as the pair he was selling me originally are breeding quality but all research points to ganders not suiting my situation.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 10:17 am 

Hi Dru, I do understand your concerns about the gander in particular. Here our breeding season is over but I know that where you are the seasons are a bit different to ours and if your breeding season is beginning then I would strongly advise you to keep your new gander away from small pets and bantams. I am still relatively new to ganders myself but would not want to have a new one running free with all my stock. The one I have tried to breed with everything he could catch, (with unfortunate results) although he is a proper ***** cat now the season is over.

Regarding your Maremmas (gorgeous dogs by the way, would love to have one), I had a gander killed by my German Shepherd many years ago because the gander used to taunt the dog. In every other respect, my German Shepherd was a perfect gentleman and loved by all. However, this gander simply would not leave him alone and the dog swiftly dealt with him. So likewise, your Maremmas might have a bit of an issue if another bird starts attacking them. The gander is only trying to protect his wives but sadly, not many other dogs understand or appreciate that fact.

So I'm not surprised if you have decided to stay away from having a gander but if you do, make sure you have somewhere to contain him with his wives and things will be a lot more peaceful. Good luck!

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Dru couldn't you pen them up for the breeding season even with some temporary fencing?
What breed was the gander you has before?
Some breeds are much more aggressive than Sebastopols like Chinese or Africans.
The most mine do is hiss and mock charge at me during the breeding season but they will bite
in close quarters.

My website: http://cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms.webs.com/

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 1:22 am 

Back again, sorry it took so long!
I couldn't really separate them during breeding season. The night pen is 6 metre squared but I have ducks locked in at night too and they'd need to get in and out. During the day I have to allow the Maremmas access to everywhere, foxes here are terrible, even during the day. . The geese I had before with the problem gander were both Sebs, but much larger and stockier than the female I recently bought. Our new girl, Gloria is very fine and pretty but also only young AFAIK. It was really hard to walk away from the available gander but since having just Gloria I'm feeling more confident with mannerisms etc so I think I will go back for a breeding pair at Easter when he might have some available. The geese aren't cheap either so if the gander doesn't work out I'm stuck with a very expensive bird! There are probably other Sebs around but if I'm bringing in a gander then I'd like to start off with what I feel is the best available to me. I thought about buying a female goose of any breed but have read that Sebs are easily bullied. We had a Call drake who was horrible to Gloria, chasing her around the yard and she would crash in to fencing so he has gone back to my friend who bred him.
Gloria likes her Muscovy friends and the Call ducks are in luuurve with Gloria. They follow her around like a Mumma Goose, lol. I will work out how to attach a photo, I love her so much -> :hug She is very intelligent and if she is not sure about a threat she plants herself right next to a Maremma. It's fascinating to watch. She is very shy and I can't get near her but she seems happy and I can now walk two metres past her without her moving away.
I will try to decide on the breeding pair by Chrissy so I can hopefully reserve a pair - plus start saving!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 1:22 am 

CottageRose wrote:
Dru couldn't you pen them up for the breeding season even with some temporary fencing?
What breed was the gander you has before?
Some breeds are much more aggressive than Sebastopols like Chinese or Africans.
The most mine do is hiss and mock charge at me during the breeding season but they will bite
in close quarters.

Just how close is close quarters?

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 2:07 pm 

Mine hiss etc. during breeding seasonand if they bite it usually is when you are near the nest or have them cornered or confined (a small stall area or something). If you are having sleepless nights and lamenting this much over it maybe geese are not the thing to be raising. We do have 1 VERY nasty gander and he is like it year round 365 days a year and we just have them in a pen that I reach over dump the water and have the feed cup hanging on the fence and during breeding season I use a large leaf rake when we go in to gather eggs. We wouldn't give him up for anything so we just have to be smarter than the geese! Remember they have very tiny brains.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]