It is currently June 27th, 2017, 6:24 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to sebastopolgeeselovers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Northeastern Indiana
PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 7:02 am 

Hubby told me that the guy at TSC tonight said that Indiana is in a state of emergency today and told not to go out or they would be ticketed. Is that true?

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thats CRAZY if true!

My website: http://cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 4:17 pm 

On the UK news they told us that the state of Indianopolis is on red alert and people advised not to leave their homes unless absolutely essential. So if we hear that in the UK, oh gosh it must be bad out there. (hope I got that right -> :scratch )

Rebekah, we are a bit further east from Cornwall but yes we are getting all the rain and strong winds. Whereabouts is your brother? Cornwall is so beautiful. I think he is probably getting it even worse than we are, particularly if he is on the coast. We are currently pumping flood water out of the garden two or three times a day.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 4:57 pm 

Wow, just talked to my sister in Indianapolis Indiana and she said they are in a state of emergency in many counties. Her hubby is a Firefighter downtown Indy. she said -15F and -35F windchill and something like 12 inches or more of snow -> :yikes

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry I don't get this...Michigan is Zone 5 and rated for down to -35 which we've had in the past.
Indiana might be Zone 6 which would be 20 below or something like that....I'd have to look it up.
Of course this is cold weather and you have to be careful but there's a lot of fear mongering reports
on TV and your face is not going to freeze off if you go outside.
Sheesh! -> :waiting

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 7:34 pm 

I must admit they do tend to be rather alarmist in the UK with weather reports too... but one year...I think it was '87 or '89, a weather forecaster told us all not to worry, there was no hurricane on its way as had been previously suggested. Well that night, we had the worst storm in living memory. Since then, the meteorological people have tended to issue warnings as soon as there is the slightest sign of danger.

There have been some shocking tragedies over here too.... kids going out to photograph the waves crashing in, and getting swept away and drowned. Totally heartbreaking. A lad of eighteen has been lost at sea in the West Country and they still have not found his body.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 11:05 pm 

Yes, it's true, most of Northern Indiana has been restricted to emergency travel only for the past couple of days. Between the snow and the dangerous temperatures, it simply hasn't been safe to be on the roads. They tell us we can be ticketed, but in practice it's relatively rare.

Rosanne, this is my brother http://www.larryssonpipes.com/about.php. He lives in a village on Bodmin Moor. I haven't been able to make it over to visit him, but now that our boys are grown and out of the house, we're hoping to make a visit some time in the next couple of years.

I'm closer to Fort Wayne, than Indianapolis, but those temps sound exactly like what I've been getting. My youngest son is home on break, but he's getting ready to head back to school in Indy at the end of the week. I'm glad that we'll be above freezing again when he's ready to drive back.

Vicky, the northern part of the state is zone 5. People like my husband and I, who have grown up in a farm culture and seen some really harsh winters, do fine in this weather. However, I've seen people do some really stupid stuff, and show a surprising lack of common sense. Those people are the reason they have to issue the no travel warnings.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 2:35 pm 

Rebekah, you are certainly right about people showing a total lack of common sense with regard to the weather. On the news the other night, it showed a man standing on a sea front, holding a toddler in his arms to see the massive waves, whilst another small child was at his feet. At any time, those kids could have been swept away by the force of the waves. Some people's stupidity beggars belief.

I looked at your brother's website. So interesting! I had no idea people still made pipes. Bodmin Moor is an amazing place but incredibly spooky in winter.

Have you (or anyone else here) read the book "Jamaica Inn" by Daphne Du Maurier? It's an incredibly exciting and scary tale about smuggling in Cornwall and based on Bodmin Moor. There was an old B&W film of the same name. Really good story.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

So Rebekah were you born in Iceland as well?
Just for the record, I'm an Anglophile of the worst sort.
http://www.pinterest.com/vickybt/united-kingdom-envy/
I think I was born in the wrong country. -> :wink

Oh Rosanne, you MUST share more about "spooky" Bodmin Moor and thank you for the book referral! -> :smile

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 6:25 pm 

Vicky I'm no expert on Bodmin Moor but I do believe it to be stunningly beautiful though with a brooding and mysterious atmosphere. Archaeologists have found evidence of early civilisation there going back many thousands of years, which I think may add to the spiritual feeling of this ancient place.

However, speaking as a rather timid person, I would not wander out there on my own at night..... -> :yikes

I thoroughly recommend the book Jamaica Inn, it made my blood run cold although as I said, I am a timid person.

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]